Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Anti-Tourist and internship

Hi everyone!

I have spent a large amount of my young adult life being a tourist. I always felt it was unfair that the locals did not appreciate us tourist more, since we brought money into their economy. Well...I hadn't lived in one of the most tourist infested places yet. Now I live in a beautiful city that attracts hoards of tourist each day. I also live in the center of all tourist destinations in Florence. Let me tell you, my life would be so much easier if there were no tourist. It is very inconsiderate to just stop in the middle of someones way to take a picture. They don't realize that just because they are in vacation everyone else isn't! We have to live our normal lives with the added stress of having to live with tourist everyday. The streets are always crowded with them, which makes us almost not want to go outside. They are inconsiderate to those of us who need to get somewhere in five minutes and don't have the luxury to take a stroll down the street. I am not just talking about the "American" tourist but all tourist in general. Yesterday was a great day because it rained, and due to that the tourist stayed in. End rant.

On a happier note, I will start my internship at the Palazzo Vecchio soon. After months of waiting to see if i actually got the class/internship I was finally selected. There will be another girl also working with me from the same school. It will be an intense experience but a valuable one non the less. We will be regular tour guides in the museum. One of us will be doing the general tour and the other will be doing the secret passages tour. I don't know yet which one i will be doing.

Well on other news one of my roommates and i are planning on going to Pisa this weekend. It has been a long day so I am going to rest.

Until more exciting times!
-Jen

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ya done restin' yet, it's almost halloween!